The Office 2003 update – kb907417 has opened the doors of a new error, namely ‘error 0x80096004’ for Windows users.
Office 2013 is an outdated Office suite that is not much compatible with newer Windows. Same is the problem with Office XP for newer Windows. Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 don’t go well with old Microsoft Office suites.
Since Office 2013 is no longer supported, Microsoft doesn’t send security and other updates to it. So it is unlikely that you will ever receive the update error on the latest version of Office 2013.
Moreover, we recommend you to upgrade your Office and get access to new features.
However, if you still wish to continue using Office 2003, continue reading this article.
Download Office KB907414 update manually
Well, if the update shows an error, you can always download the latest update manually.
Firstly you have to download the Office KB907414 update from Microsoft Update Catalog.
Use the following steps to download & install Office KB907414 manually:
- At first you need to download the update file from Microsoft Update Catalog.
- The downloaded file is a ‘.cab’ file, extract the ‘.msp’ file from it.
- Double click on the extracted file and follow the on-screen instructions to install update.
If you face any problems with this installation file, you can download another installation file from CNET Download.
How to fix error 0x80096004?
Error 0x80096004 is an error caused due to non-synchronization/incompatibility of the installation file and the OS. Making changes in the system files will solve the problem.
If the Windows update troubleshooter sends you error 0x80096004, fix it with the following steps:
Use the system file checker
Running an SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) would fix all the potential issues in the Windows.
Run an SFC and DISM scan using the following steps:
- Firstly go to Start by clicking on the Windows logo in the bottom left of the screen and search cmd or command prompt.
- Now right click on Command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter and wait till the scan is completed.
- Subsequently type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and hit Enter.
- Then type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and hit Enter.
- Lastly type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press the Enter button.
Temporarily disable Firewall or Antivirus
Firewalls and antiviruses are to protect you from antivirus and malware attacks. However, they can alter system and app files.
If you ever have to disable antivirus or firewall, you should immediately enable it after your work is done. Till the time your antivirus and firewall are disabled, your system is prone to virus and malware threats.
The best thing about Windows’ default antivirus protection, is that it doesn’t nag apps much. However, there is no harm in trying to install the update after turning it off.
Use the following steps to turn off Windows defender:
- Search “Windows Security” in the Windows search bar and open the Windows Security App.
- In the Virus & threat protection section, click Manage settings as shown in the below image.
- Turn off the real-time protection from the toggle button shown in the image.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows update is used to keep Microsoft Windows and some other Microsoft apps updated.
If the Windows update is not working fine, you should run a troubleshooter for it. This would fix the error 0x80096004 and keep Office updated.
Use the following steps to run the Windows Update troubleshooter:
- Firstly click on the Start button at the bottom left and click Settings shown as gear icon.
- Now go to Update & Security group of settings.
- In the Troubleshoot section, click Additional troubleshooters as shown in the below image.
- Click on Windows Update and subsequently on the Run the troubleshooter option.
- The troubleshooter will start searching for problems. Fix the problems found using the on-screen instructions.
Office 2003 is no longer supported by Microsoft, i.e., it will continue working on your PC, but you will not get security updates and customer support for it.
We hope that you were able to fix error 0x80096004 after using the methods discussed in this article.
If none of the methods worked for you, maybe you should consider upgrading Office.
Alternatively to resolve more concerns kindly click here.
How do I troubleshoot a Windows Update?
To troubleshoot Windows Update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional Troubleshooters > Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.
Can Office 2003 be updated?
Microsoft has removed support from Office 2003, and no longer sends updates for it.
What is KB907414?
It is an update to Microsoft Office 2003 suite that fixes add-in related issues in Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and Microsoft Office Word 2003.