Dark mode, also known as black mode, night mode, and dark theme, reduces the light emitted by device screens while maintaining the color contrast required for good visibility and readability. However, there are certain disadvantages, such as poor visibility under sunlight or well-lighted indoors, because of which you might want to turn off dark mode on Google and other apps.
In this article, we will help you turn the dark mode off on Google and Google Apps such as Chrome, Drive, Maps, Gmail, etc. Keep reading the article to know the detailed steps for turning off dark mode quickly. Use the following quick links for easy navigation within the article.
You can use Google search in both modes to see search results in either dark or light theme.
Some Google apps have an option to switch modes within the app whereas some do not. That means phone or PC’s themes and settings administrate the app’s theme.
How to turn off dark mode on Google?
You can see Google homepage and search results in light and dark themes. If you have trouble reading content or do not like the dark mode on Google search, you can change the theme or turn off the dark mode on Google search from your mobile or PC.
How to disable dark theme on Google using mobile?
Use the following steps for turning off dark mode on Google from your iPhone or Android phone:
- Firstly open Google.com and open the menu shown as three horizontal lines in the top left.
- Now go to Settings.
- Select Light theme.
- Now scroll down to the bottom and tap on the Save button.
- A pop-up message will appear saying your preference have been saved. Tap OK.
- Finally, the dark mode will be turned off.
How to disable dark theme on Google using PC?
Use the following steps for turning off dark mode on Google from your Mac, Windows PC, or any other desktop:
- Firstly go to Google.com and click on the Settings option at the bottom.
- Click on Dark Theme to turn it off. However, if you don’t get the option her, click on Search settings.
- Now go to Appearance section, then select Light theme and click on Save button as shown in the below image.
- Subsequently, a notification saying your preferences have been saved will appear at the top. Click Ok.
- Finally, dark mode will turn off and you are back to light mode.
How to turn off dark theme on Google Chrome?
If you want to use dark mode all over your internet browser, then you have to enable dark mode on the browser app such as Chrome.
How to disable dark mode on Chrome on Android?
Follow these steps to disable Chrome dark mode on your Android phone:
- Firstly open Chrome browser in your Android phone and open the Menu by clicking the three dots in the top right.
- Then tap to open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Theme.
- Select Light from the list of themes.
- As soon as you tap on ‘light’ the theme, the light mode will be enabled.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on iPhone, PC, and other devices?
There is no dark theme option within the Chrome app for iPhone or PC. If you still see dark theme on the Chrome app, it might be due to the phone or PC’s dark theme.
Disable the dark theme or dark mode on your iPhone or PC to subsequently turn off the dark theme on Google Chrome.
Scroll down to learn how to turn off dark mode on Android, iOS, and Windows PC, or use the Table of Contents at the beginning of this article.
Click to learn how to reset google chrome.
How to turn off dark mode on all Google apps?
You can change modes within the app on apps such as Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Chrome.
Follow these steps to turn off dark mode on Google apps.
- Firstly go to the Google app of which you want to turn off dark theme and open the Menu shown as either three horizontal lines or three dots.
- Then find and tap Settings.
- Subsequently scroll down and open the Choose theme option.
- Lastly select Light from the list of themes.
- Finally the theme will be set to light mode.
However, this is not the case with all Google apps. You may find exceptions with the theme options on apps across devices. Such as, you can change the theme on Google drive on mobile but can’t change it on a PC. In this case, you have to rely on your device’s dark mode settings to turn on or off dark theme for the app.
How to disable dark mode on Android
Use the following steps to disable dark mode on Android:
- Firstly go to your phone’s Settings app and open Display Settings.
- Subsequently find the Dark mode option and open it.
- Then turn off the dark mode toggle button.
- Finally, the theme of your Android phone will change to light mode.
How to disable dark mode on iPhone
Use the following steps to disable dark mode on iPhone:
- Firstly open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then scroll down and open Display & Brightness settings.
- Lastly select Light option below the phone icon as shown in the below image.
- Doing so would instantly turn off dark mode and turn on light mode on your iPhone.
How to disable dark mode on Windows PC
Use the following steps to disable dark mode on Windows:
- Firstly click and open the Windows icon in the bottom left and then open Settings shown as gear icon in the below image.
- Now go to the Personalization tab.
- Subsequently go to the Colors section, open the scroll down menu shown in the below image and select Custom.
- Under the Choose your default app mode section, select Light.
- Doing so would instantly turn all your apps to light mode.
After reading this article, you can easily turn off dark mode on Google search and Google apps. You can also turn off or on dark mode on your device to toggle between the light and dark mode on the apps.
How to turn off dark mode on Google docs?
Open the Google docs app on your phone, go to menu > settings > choose theme > light. Relatively, to disable it on a PC, disable the extension that is viewing it in dark mode.
How to turn on Dark mode on Google on a PC?
Go to google.com and open settings at the bottom then click on the ‘Dark theme’ option to turn it on.
How to turn on dark mode on google maps?
To turn off dark mode on Google maps, go to menu > Settings > Appearance > Theme > Dark.