To fix “Outlook won’t open” issue, we recommend users to follow below solutions.
Check for Outlook Update
In general Microsoft Outlook updates automatically however users can also try to update the software manually in following ways:
Note: Microsoft suite applications can be updated by updating any one application. We have shown the demo by manually updating MS Word.
- Open any of the “Microsoft Programme”, enter “Word” in the search bar of Windows, click the word.
- Click the File>Help>Check for Updates.
Note: If you have the latest version, please try further solutions provided in the blog.
Use Safe Mode/Disable add-ins
If you come across the error “Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Cannot open the Outlook Window,” using Safe mode can resolve the problem.
Outlook safe mode does not load third-party add-ins and helps users to detect problematic add-ins; If you detect any problematic add-ins, disable them by following the below steps.
- Use command Windows +R on keyboard.
- Type “Outlook /safe” in the command box, click the “Ok” button. (Kindly note after outlook use spacebar once and then write /safe).
Note: Outlook Safe Mode disables all the additional settings thus only previewing emails. If you have Microsoft 2016, this step is not for you, as Microsoft does not have a compatible mode feature for this version; however, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to solve the issue.
- Open Outlook, go to Files>Option.
- Select the add-ins and click on “Microsoft Exchange Add-in” and now choose “Disable” from the drop-down menu, and click the OK button.
Run the /resetnavpane command
The “Resetnavpane” command reverts Outlook to the default setting mode and removes all the customization of the navigation pane.
Follow the below pointers to remove the customized settings on the Outlook navigation pane.
- Use command Windows +R using Keyboard.
- Type “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane” in the command box, click the “OK” button.
Use scanpst.exe to fix Outlook Data File errors
OST and PST databases stores Outlook data that includes email, meetings, events, contacts, and tasks. Sometimes these files can be corrupt.
In this case, you should run (scanpst.exe) to fix corrupt Outlook files.
Follow the below-mentioned points to run the command.
Note: Please “Exit” Outlook to run the scanpst.exe command.
- Open “File Explorer” if you are using Windows, enter the given command as per the “Microsoft Configuration” on your device (Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016). Kindly refer to the image below and enter the command.
Outlook 2010, Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013: Repair Outlook Data Files command (.pst and .ost)
- 2019: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
Note: The five above commands will help users to search Scanpst.exe (We have selected command no 4. since the version we have shown is Outlook 2010)
- Find “Scanpst.exe” file right click and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now, click the “Browse” option, select the file you want to repair, click on the “Open” button.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Click the “Repair” button.
- Once your file is repaired, you will get the notification as “Repair complete” press “OK”.
Creating a new Outlook Profile
The creation of a new Outlook profile help users to fix the “Outlook not opening issue”; once the user successfully creates a new profile and if it is working fine then the user can switch back to his old profile.
Perform the below-mentioned steps to create a new Outlook profile:-
- Type “Control Panel” in the search bar of Windows.
- Select the “User Accounts.”
- Now, click on the “Mail 32-bit” option, Click on the “Show Profiles…” on the prompt box.
- Click on the “Add” option, enter “Profile name” in the prompt box, click the “OK” button.
- Enter your name, email account, password, re-type password, and tap on the “Next” button.
- Now, click the “Next” option and follow the directions on your screen.
What are the reasons behind “Outlook won’t starting”?
The “Outlook won’t starting” issue can occur due to corrupt or damaged outlook files, invalid customization settings, old Outlook versions, and problematic add-ins.
Wrapping up: – If you are facing the problem of “Outlook not opening on Windows, Outlook won’t open, Outlook not opening 2016, or Outlook not opening on Mac”, kindly implement the suggested steps to fix the issue on Outlook. We have also provided a short video presentation that would help you fix the “Outlook won’t open” issue.
For more tech related solutions; kindly visit Assistme360.com
The user can fix Outlook not opening issue by creating a new profile, cleaning the OST and PST file and running “resetnavepane” command.
There may be many reasons if Outlook is not opening on your device; it may be corrupt or damaged files, navigation pane issues and problematic add-ins.
If your issue is “Outlook 2010 not opening” or “Outlook 2013 not opening,” you should use the scanpst.exe command to repair Outlook files.
Follow the below steps to reset your Outlook profile.
1. Open Control Panel>User Settings>Mails.
2. Now, click on the Outlook profile that you want to delete, and click the remove button.
3. After successfully deleting the Outlook profile, create a new one with the account credentials.
Problematic add-in creates issues while opening attachments in Outlook.
1. Go to “Control Panel“
2. Double-click Programs and Features.
3. Click MS Office 365, and then click the “Change” option.
4. Select the “Quick Repair,” click the “Repair” option.
Note: To complete the “Repair Process,” you may have to restart your PC.