You might have the error code 0x80040154 on Outlook, Chrome, Windows update installation, and other apps. You might face the error while creating and accessing Outlook data files, updating Chrome browser, updating Windows, etc.
There are various reasons for the system-wide error that we will help you resolve in this article.
Use the quick links in the following table of contents for the ease of navigation within the article.
What does 0x80040154 mean?
Windows and other Operating Systems & applications use error codes for the identification of errors that would take a lot of screen space if written entirely otherwise.
The error code 0x80040154 represents errors caused due to incorrect or unprecedented change in system files. This error may affect single or multiple apps and software, such as Outlook, Chrome, Windows Update, etc., on almost all versions of Windows, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and even Windows 11.
What are the reasons for error code 0x80040154?
Your system devices and programs need to access certain files to function properly. Any error in the file format would land the programs running abruptly with errors. Following are the reasons for the error code 0x80040154 that may cause problems in your Windows PC or laptop:
Errors in Windows registry
Windows registry is a collection of configuration settings for Windows OS. It stores most of the information and settings for software programs, hardware devices, user preferences, and Operating System configurations.
Improperly uninstalled applications leave redundant registry entries that may cause problems. Also, viruses, Trojans, and spyware cause registry errors.
To find and fix registry errors, open the command prompt as an administrator, type sfc /scannow (with space between ‘sfc’ and ‘/scannow’), and press Enter.
Corrupt files are the files that have been altered accidentally by hardware or software breakdown or purposefully by the attackers.
The problem is prominent in Outlook data files because of their large size.
However, file recovery tools available on the internet can fix most of the corrupted files.
Add-ins are used to get more features on an application or software. You can install add-ins on Chrome, Outlook, and many other apps.
However, faulty or buggy add-ins may cause error with the code 0x80040154.
Try running Outlook in guest mode or removing add-ins from Chrome to fix the problem.
Unregistered DLL file
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library and is the file that contains codes for commonly used program functions.
An unregistered inetcomm.dll file can cause “error 0x80040154” while receiving mails on Outlook.
Use the following steps to re-register the inetcomm.dll file in Windows:
- Run Windows Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type ‘regsvr32 inetcomm.dll’ and press Ok, then follow the on-screen instructions and wait to get it re-registered again.
How to troubleshoot error code 0x80040154?
Use the following troubleshooting methods to fix error code 0x80040154:
Run app’s troubleshoot
Whatever software or program you are using, if it reports any error, your first step should be searching for the problem or its solution, whatever option is visible on the screen.
This would give you an insight into the problem and help you solve the problem. However, if you don’t get satisfactory results or there is no such option to troubleshoot, you can follow the subsequent methods.
Update the app
The problem might be that the app’s current version has some bug that is causing issues that the developers may have removed in the subsequent updates.
Try updating the app showing an error to the latest version available.
Also, keep your apps up to date to avoid problems in the future.
Repair or reset the malfunctioning app(s)
Either some other application or feature may be causing the problem, or the problem is only seen in the current program. Both ways, you can repair or reset a program to get rid of the problem.
Use the following steps to repair or reset an application or feature:
- Firstly click on the Windows logo at the bottom left or press the Windows logo key on the keyboard and open Settings.
- Now click on the Apps group of settings.
- Then select Apps & features in the left panel.
- Find the app you want to repair or reset from the list of apps & features and click on it.
- Subsequently click Advanced Options of the app.
- Then you will get the two options i.e., Repair and Reset.
Click on the Repair option, and wait for few minutes to let the system repair the app.
- If the problem is not solved yet, click on the Reset option and select Reset in the confirmation.
Note: Resetting an app permanently deletes the app data.
- Once the app is reset successfully, you will see a check mark beside the reset button.
Run SFC and DISM to repair system corruption
SFC stands for System File Checker and DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Running SFC and DISM can repair the corrupted files on your system.
Use the following steps to run SFC and DISM in order to repair corrupted files:
- Firstly go to Start by either pressing the Windows logo key or clicking on the Windows logo in the bottom left of the screen and search cmd or command prompt.
- Then right click on Command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and press Enter.
- Once the sfc scan is complete, type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and hit Enter.
- Subsequently type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and hit Enter.
- Lastly type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press the Enter button.
Run PC repair tool
PC repair tools are the software applications used to improve your Operating System’s performance by correcting various issues. You can also customize system scanning and cleaning on such tools.
There are many PC repair tools online that you can download to your system and find repair issues in your PC.
Download a PC repair tool of your choice from the internet and install it. Then open the application and follow the on-screen instruction to find and fix issues.
Re-register the inetcomm.dll file in Windows
Unregister the inetcomm.dll file and register again to eliminate the 0x80040154 error.
Use the following steps to unregister and re-register the inetcomm.dll:
- Firstly either press the Windows logo key or click on the Windows logo in the bottom left of the screen and search cmd or command prompt.
- Then right click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- To un-register the inetcomm.dll file, type regsvr32 /u inetcomm.dll in the command prompt window and press Enter.
- To re-register the inetcomm.dll file, type regsvr32 inetcomm.dll in the command prompt window and press Enter.
Keeping Windows updated can save you from multiple errors within the PC.
Use the following steps to manually update Windows:
- Firstly open Start menu by either pressing the Windows logo key or clicking on the Windows logo at the bottom.
- Then go to Settings > Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates, if updates are available click Download and Install.
Use a restore point
Restoring your system to the point when the error was not introduced can help you quickly get rid of the problem. The feasibility of this method also depends on if you have a restore point for that particular time frame.
However, using a restore point will make you lose the data you have stored after creating that particular restore point.
Use the following steps to use a restore point:
- Go to search option in the Start menu and open System Restore.
- Then go the System Protection tab and click System Restore.
- Select the restore point to which you want to restore your PC and click Next.
- Subsequently click Finish and the system restore process will start.
Resetting Windows is like re-installing the Operating System. All the third-party programs are uninstalled while files stored on the PC remain as they are.
Resetting Windows would solve all the problems related to the OS.
- Firstly go to Settings.
- Then go to the Update & Security group of settings.
- Select the Recovery section from the left panel.
- In the Reset this PC section, select Get started.
- Select whether you want to keep personal files or not.
- Select what you want to Cloud Download or Local reinstall the windows.
- Click Next and then Reset to confirm reset.
- Your PC will take a while to reset and then restart.
Error 0x80040154 is troublesome for multiple programs simultaneously. However, in this article, we have discussed all the verified methods to troubleshoot the problem and get rid of the pesky error in Outlook, Chrome, and other programs.
Fore more help Kindly visit Assist Me 360.
How to fix error 0x80040154 on Chrome?
Error 0x80040154 wouldn’t let you update your Chrome browser. So, the possible solution is to reset Chrome.
Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Chrome > Advanced Options > Reset. Click ‘Reset’ in the confirmation window. Once the app is reset, a check mark will appear on the side of reset button.
How do I fix email error 0x80040154 on windows 7?
Run an SFC and DISM to fix the email error. Run command prompt as administrator and type the following and press Enter after each:
sfc /scannow, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Each process will take some time to execute and the changes will come into effect after system restart.