Are you tired of straining your eyes while using Outlook in low-light environments? If so, then bright white screens keep you awake at night or distract you from work during the day? As a result, it’s time to switch to dark mode in Outlook 365.
- Firstly, open Outlook.
- Then, click File in the upper left corner.
- Next, select options.
- Following that, in the left pane, click General.
- Here, under Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office, look for the Office Theme drop-down menu.
- Then, select Black to activate dark mode. Select White to turn it off.
- Finally, to save your changes, click OK.
You need a Microsoft 365 subscription to enable it on your desktop (Windows or Mac) or iPhone version of Outlook 365. However, you can use it on the web version without a subscription.
Furthermore, follow our blog to learn how to turn dark mode on and off and switch to a dark experience in Outlook on Windows, online, and on iPhone and Mac devices.
How to change Outlook 365 to dark mode theme in Windows ?
Do you want to give your Outlook 365 a sleek and stylish look? If so, you may be interested in changing its theme to dark mode.
Furthermore, follow below mentioned steps to change Outlook 365 to dark mode in Windows PC:
There are two ways to turn dark mode on or off in Microsoft Outlook on Windows, depending on your preferences:
Using the Options menu
- First, launch Outlook on your computer.
- Next, go to File at the top left corner and choose options.
- Then, select option and then General on the left side.
- After that, find the Office Theme option under Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office.
- Finally, choose Black from the drop-down menu to turn on dark mode. Pick White to turn it off.
- Finally, press OK to apply your changes.
Using the Quick Access Toolbar
- To begin, right-click an empty space on the Quick Access Toolbar (near the top left corner of Outlook).
- Subsequently, select Customize Quick Access Toolbar.
- Then, scroll down and find the Toggle Dark Mode button.
- Following that, click and hold the Toggle Dark Mode button, then drag it to the desired position on the toolbar.
- In last, click OK to save your changes.
Also Check: Automatic sign-in Outlook with QR code
How to change Outlook 365 to dark mode theme on the Web ?
If you use Outlook 365 on the web, you may want to change its appearance to suit your preferences.
Furthermore, in this section, we will show you how to switch Outlook 365 to dark theme on Outlook Web.
Follow below mentioned steps to change dark theme in on the Outlook web:
- Firstly, open Outlook 365 in your web browser and sign in.
- Secondly, click the Settings gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then, toggle dark mode by clicking on it.
- Firstly, open Outlook 365 in your web browser and sign in.
- Secondly, look for the sun/moon icon in the top right corner of the screen, near your name and profile photo.
- Finally, click on the icon. If it is a sun, clicking it will switch to the dark theme (moon icon). If it is already a moon, clicking will return to the light theme.
Also Check: Report phishing on Outlook
How to change Outlook 365 dark mode theme on Mac ?
Dark mode is a popular feature that changes the background color of the screen to a darker shade, reducing eye strain and saving battery life.
Furthermore, in this section, we’ll show you how to change Outlook 365 dark mode theme on Mac, so you can enjoy a more comfortable and personalized email experience.
Follow below mentioned methods to change Outlook dark mode on a Mac:
Using the Preferences Menu
- First, open the Outlook 365 app on your Mac.
- Next, click the “Outlook” menu in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, select “settings”.
- After that, in the Preferences window, click the “General” tab.
- Finally, find the “Appearance” section and click on “Dark” to enable dark mode.
Use Office Theme
- To begin, open any Microsoft Office 365 app on your Mac, such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Next, click the “File” menu in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Then, choose “Account” from the drop-down menu.
- After that, find the “Office Theme” section and click the drop-down menu.
- Finally, choose “Black” from the list of themes. This will enable dark mode for all Office apps, including Outlook.
Also Check: Set up automatic replies on Outlook App
How to change Outlook 365 dark mode theme on mobile device ? (iPhone and Android)
Changing the Outlook 365 dark mode theme on mobile devices depends on whether you’re using an iPhone/iPad or an Android device:
iOS 13 or higher
- Outlook automatically follows Dark Mode settings system-wide. To enable/disable Dark Mode for the entire device, go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn “Dark Mode” on/off.
- Furthermore, within the Outlook app, you can override system settings by going to Settings > Appearance and selecting “Light” or “Dark.”
iOS 12 or lower
- First, open the Outlook app and go to Settings > Themes.
- In last, you can choose between “Light” and “Dark” theme.
- Firstly, open the Outlook app and go to Settings > Preferences.
- Finally, you’ll see a “Dark Theme” switch. Tap it to switch between “On” (permanent dark mode) and “Off” (light theme).
How to solve outlook dark mode reading pane still white ?
There are a few possible reasons why the Outlook dark mode reading pane remains white. Here are some steps you can try to fix it:
Make sure you have the latest version of Outlook for Mac: You need at least version 16.73.2 to use dark mode1.
Make sure you have selected the Black theme in Outlook preferences: Go to Outlook > Preferences > General > Personalize and choose Black from the drop-down menu2.
Ensure you have not disabled the dark reading panel option: Go to Outlook > Preferences > Reading and uncheck the box that says “Never change message background color”3.
If you still see a white reading pane, it may be because the message itself has a white background. You can toggle between dark and light mode for individual messages by clicking the sun/moon icon next to the reply button.
How to fix Outlook black theme missing ?
The Outlook black theme is a feature that allows you to change the appearance of your email client to a dark mode, which can reduce eye strain and save battery life.
However, sometimes this feature may not work correctly or disappear completely.
Furthermore, in this section, we’ll show you how to fix Outlook dark mode/ black theme missing, so you can enjoy a more convenient and personalized email experience.
Check for app updates
Firstly, ensure that you are using the latest version of Outlook. Sometimes older versions have bugs or missing features. Subsequently, update the app through your device’s app store.
Explore theme options
Depending on your device and Outlook version, the black theme may have a different name. As a result, look for options like “Dark Mode,” “Night Mode,” or “High Contrast.”
Additionally, some apps also offer several variations of dark themes, consequently, explore the settings to see if anything matches the “black” theme you want.
Verification of the entire system
Some devices offer a system-wide dark mode setting that overrides individual app themes.
Consequently, make sure your device’s dark mode is enabled, if applicable. Furthermore, this could also bring back the black theme in Outlook.
If nothing else works, try resetting Outlook settings to default as a last resort. Consequently, this could fix any technical or customization issues causing the black theme to disappear.
However, please note that this may also reset other personalized settings, such as accounts and preferences.
Report the problem
If the black theme remains elusive despite your efforts, consider reporting the issue to Microsoft.
Consequently, this helps them identify and fix bugs in future app updates. Similarly, you can report the issue via the Feedback option within the Outlook app or on the Microsoft website.
In conclusion, dark mode is a feature that allows you to change the background color of Outlook 365 to a darker shade, making it easier to use in low-light environments.
Specifically, this can help you reduce eye strain, save battery life, and improve your concentration and productivity.
Furthermore, you can switch to dark mode in Outlook 365 on different devices, depending on your preferences and subscription.
Ultimately, in this article, we show you how to turn on dark mode in Outlook 365 on Windows devices, online, and Mac, using various methods and steps.
Frequently Asked Questions’ (FAQ’s)
There are a few possible reasons why Outlook does not have a black theme. One reason is that you are not using the latest version of Outlook, which supports dark mode by default. Another reason is that you have disabled dark mode in Outlook settings.
Check your theme’s options for “Dark Mode”, “Night Mode” or a similar setting. If it is missing, make sure your device’s system-wide dark mode is enabled. Update Outlook or report the problem to Microsoft if it still doesn’t appear.
Unfortunately, Outlook 365 no longer offers a true “classic view” option. However, you can bring back some familiar items! Try changing the view to “Compact” and customizing the navigation panel to show familiar folders and buttons.