Gmail is a widely used email service, and with a constant flow of email, managing your inbox can be overwhelming.
A common problem that many Gmail users face is a cluttered inbox with lots of unwanted emails and unread messages.
This can make it difficult to find important emails and messages can be missed and reduce productivity.
A simple solution to this problem is to use the “Mark all as read” feature in Gmail.This feature allows you to quickly mark all emails in your inbox as read, and keep your inbox clean. This can help you stay organized and improve your email productivity.
Using this feature, you can easily track which emails you have read and which ones still need your attention.
In this article, we will discuss how to use the “Mark all as read” feature in Gmail and provide tips to manage your inbox effectively. This will assist you in focusing on the incoming messages.
How to mark all as read in Gmail ? (Desktop)
In this section, you will find ways to mark all emails as read and delete all unread emails in Gmail on a desktop version of Gmail.
Follow the below mentioned steps to mark all as read using the desktop version of Gmail :
Using the search bar
- Firstly, open Gmail and login to your account.
- In the image below, you can see a search box above your emails.
- Enter and search
is:unreadin the search field to use the advanced search feature.
- Subsequently, you will see a email lists of unread mails in your inbox messages. Click the empty checkbox at the top of the search results to select the unread mail, as shown in the image below.
- A message saying ‘All conversations on this page are selected’ will appear. Click ‘Select all conversations that match this search’ written in blue, as shown in the picture or you can also select single email.
- After that, a message stating ‘All conversations in this search are selected’ will appear.
- Click on the open letter icon (shown as A) or the three dots in the same menu bar, and select ‘Mark As Read’ (shown as B).
- Lastly, click ‘OK’ in the ‘Confirm bulk action’ pop-up window to mark all emails as read.
Use the “Select All” function
- Firstly, go to your Gmail inbox.
- Secondly, click the down arrow next to the “Select” button located above your emails.
- Then, choose “Unread” from the options. This will select all your unread emails on that page.
- Finally, click the “Mark as Read” icon and confirm if a pop-up window appears.
Also Check: How to add Contacts on Gmail ?
How to mark all as read in Gmail app ? (Android and iPhone)
Follow the below mentioned steps to mark all as read using mobile app of Gmail:
- Firstly, open Gmail App on your device.
- Secondly, tap the sender’s profile picture to the left of the email to select it.
- Thirdly, follow the same steps to select multiple emails.
- Next, tap the ‘Mark as read’ icon, which looks like an open envelope, at the top of your emails.
- Finally, this will mark all chosen emails as read.
How can I mark all emails in a specific folder as read?
Using the Advanced Find feature, you can easily locate messages in all your folders.
This feature allows you to search for specific types of emails, such as unread messages in a particular folder.
For example, if you want to find all unread messages in your Important folder, simply enter ‘label:important:unread’ in the search box.
This will display all unread messages in that folder, allowing you to access and manage them quickly.
How can I set up a ‘Mark as Read’ filter in my email inbox?
In Gmail, you can create a filter to automatically mark specific types of emails as read when they arrive. To set up, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Go to the search field and click on the arrow on the right side.
- Input the search criteria for the emails you want to automatically mark as read, such as the sender’s email address in the ‘From’ field.
- Click on ‘Search’.
- Choose ‘Mark as read’ and then click on ‘Create filter’.
What are the advantages of marking emails as read in Gmail?
In today’s fast-paced world, receiving large amounts of email on a daily basis can be overwhelming. It may not always be possible or necessary to open and read every email that arrives in your inbox.
However, seeing a large number of unread messages in your Gmail account can be bothersome and keeping track of important emails can be difficult. Marking email as read is a useful tool for managing your inbox without opening each message.
This feature allows you to organize your inbox and keep it clutter-free, making it easy to find important emails when you need them.
what are some third party alternatives to mark all emails as read ?
There are some third-party tool or services that can help you mark all your emails as read in Gmail or other email providers. For example:
- Clean Email is a service that allows you to manage your inbox with various rules and actions. You can use it to mark all existing and future emails from specific senders as read, or apply other filters and labels to your messages.
- Spark is an email app for iOS and Android devices that offers an intuitive interface and powerful email management tools. With Spark, you can easily select multiple emails by tapping on them and then use the batch action feature to mark them all as read simultaneously.
These are just some of the options available. You can also search the web for more alternatives to mark all emails as read.
What are the risks associated with having a cluttered email inbox?
Having a large number of unread emails in your inbox can put you at risk of missing important messages. For example, an inquiry from a potential customer may go unnoticed amidst the clutter of unread emails.
Sorting through the clutter to find the message can be time consuming and opportunities may be lost if not responded to in time.
To prevent this, you can use tools like Right Inbox to send personalized reminders for unanswered emails and ensure that you don’t overlook any important messages.
Right Inbox offers features like email reminders, sequences, send later, private notes, mail merge, and templates to effectively manage your inbox.
Finally, managing a cluttered inbox in Gmail can be overwhelming, but using the “Mark all as read” feature can help you stay organized and productive.
This feature allows you to quickly mark all emails as read, making it easy to keep track of which emails still need your attention.
Follow the simple steps outlined in this article to manage your Gmail inbox effectively on desktop or mobile. By following our detailed guide, you can easily learn how to create type label in Gmail and use filters to deal with spam emails in your crowded inbox.
Frequently Asked Question’s (FAQ’s)
Search ‘in:unread’ in Gmail, click the empty box in the ribbon menu, select all conversations, and click ‘Mark as read’ (open envelope symbol).
You cannot mark all emails in Gmail App in one got. However, you can use an internet browser in desktop mode on an Android and iOS phone to do so.
To select all unread messages, type ‘in:unread’ in the search bar, click the top checkbox, and click ‘Select all conversations that match this search’.