Storing your data in the cloud provides easy access to all your devices without requiring copies on each one. This makes it easy to cancel your iCloud storage if needed.
Furthermore, Apple’s iCloud service allows you to do this for your Apple products like iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
However, if you decide that iCloud is no longer worth it, you may not be sure whether to cancel your subscription or what will happen to your data after cancel iCloud storage.
Worry not, canceling iCloud is simple and Apple ensures your data remains safe. To cancel your iCloud storage plan, you need to follow different steps depending on the device you are using.
- On a Mac, click the Apple logo and select System settings. Next, choose iCloud and click Manage, then Change Storage Plan.
- On Windows, open the iCloud for Windows app and navigate to similar settings likewise.
- For iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > your name > iCloud > Manage Storage or iCloud Storage and select Change storage plan.
However, you will need to enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
Additionally, downgrading will maintain your access until the end of your billing period. Furthermore, in some cases, Apple may also offer a refund for any unused parts.
It’s a good idea to make sure you’ve backed up all important iCloud data to your local device storage before you finalize the cancellation.
This ensures that you’ll have everything you need, even after your iCloud subscription ends.
How to cancel or downgrade iCloud storage on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch ?
If you’re looking to save money on iCloud storage or no longer need additional space, it’s good to know how to cancel or downgrade your iCloud plan on Apple mobile devices.
Furthermore, managing your iCloud subscription is easy from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Follow below mentioned steps to cancel iCloud storage on iPhone, iPad and iPod devices:
- First, open the Settings app.
- Next, select your Apple ID profile.
- Then, choose iCloud from the menu.
- After that, tap “Manage Storage“.
- At this point, you’ll see your current storage plan and payment details.
- From there, select “Change storage plan“.
- Following that, review the downgrade options and enter your Apple ID password if prompted.
- Next, choose the new storage tier you need, whether it’s a lower-cost tier or the free 5GB option.
- Finally, confirm your selection and you will maintain access until the end of your current billing period.
That covers the basic process. Be sure to make a local backup of all important iCloud data before completing the cancellation or downgrade. Contact Apple Support if you have any problems along the way.
How to cancel or downgrade iCloud storage on a Mac ?
Managing your iCloud storage is an important part of maintaining your Apple devices.
Furthermore, if you find that your current storage plans no longer meets your needs, it’s easy to downgrade or cancel your iCloud subscription entirely.
Follow below mentioned steps to cancel iCloud storage on a Mac:
- First, open System Settings by clicking the Apple logo in the top left corner and selecting “System Settings.”
- Next, select your Apple ID profile from the menu.
- Then, choose the “iCloud” option to view iCloud storage usage and plan details.
- After that, click the “Manage” button located below the storage usage graph.
- Subsequently, select the “Change storage plan” option to view downgrade or cancellation options.
- Furthermore, if prompted, enter your Apple ID password and click “Manage” to continue.
- Then, choose a new storage tier by selecting from the available downgrade options.
- Alternatively, to cancel iCloud or iCloud+ completely, select the free 5GB plan or choose “None.”
- Finally, click “Done” to complete the changes. If you can’t click Done, make sure you’re signed in with the Apple ID linked to your current iCloud+ subscription.
Any plan changes will take effect at the end of your current billing period. Subsequently, contact Apple Support if you need additional help.
Also Check: How to backup iPad to cloud ?
How to cancel iCloud on Windows PC ?
If you use an Apple device but primarily access your iCloud account from a Windows PC, you may prefer to manage your storage plan directly from your computer.
Furthermore, in this article we provide a quick overview of canceling or downgrading your iCloud or iCloud+ storage subscription directly from a Windows PC.
Follow below mentioned steps to cancel iCloud or iCloud+ storage on a Windows PC:
- First, open the iCloud app on your Windows device and find the graph showing your used storage.
- Then, click the “Storage” button next to the chart.
- After that, select the “Change storage plan” option.
- Next, choose the “Downgrade Options” selection.
- Following that, enter your Apple ID password and click “Manage” to continue.
- Now, you can now select a new storage amount on a different plan. Or to cancel iCloud+ entirely, choose the free 5GB plan or select “None.”
- Finally, click “Done” to complete the process. Make sure you’re signed in with the Apple ID linked to your current iCloud+ subscription.
- Otherwise, if you can’t click “Done”, try the steps on a different device. Otherwise, contact Apple Support for help.
Note: Any changes to your iCloud+ plan will take effect at the end of your current billing period.
How to cancel iCloud storage plan without phone ?
There are two ways to cancel your iCloud storage plan without a phone: using a Mac or a Windows PC. You will need to have the iCloud app installed on your computer and sign in with your Apple ID.
Follow the steps in the above sections to cancel your iCloud storage plan on a Mac or a Windows PC.
Also Check: How to unlock iPad passcode ?
Why can’t you downgrade your iCloud storage ?
Some users have reported that they cannot click the “Done” button after trying to download their iCloud storage plan.
Furthermore, although the downgrade request was successfully sent to iCloud, the button remained grayed out without any confirmation in the UI.
As a result, this appears to occur because while the downgrade is taking place on Apple’s servers, the UI is not always immediately updated for the user to indicate that the request was received.
Therefore, if you encounter a similar issue where you are unable to complete the downgrade process because the “Done” button remains inactive, you may want to contact Apple Support.
In addition, they can check if your downgrade was accepted by Apple, even if it doesn’t show on your device, and provide you with any additional assistance needed.
Moreover, the key thing is that the request can still be processed without the UI updating to reflect it, and Apple Support can help troubleshoot the issue if the “Done” button doesn’t activate again as expected after starting a storage plan change.
What happens when you cancel or downgrade iCloud storage ?
Your iCloud content and data will only automatically sync and update if the storage used is within the limits of your current storage plan. Furthermore, if you exceed your plan capacity, iCloud won’t keep everything in sync.
To continue accessing all your iCloud content without problems, you have two options. Firstly, you can upgrade to a larger storage plan that fits your needs. Alternatively, you can delete some existing content to free up space within the limits of your current plan.
In addition, switching from iCloud+ to the free iCloud plan means losing access to premium features like Hide My Email, Private Relay, and support for Home Kit Secure Video.
Moreover, if you have an Apple One subscription and a standalone iCloud+ plan, you don’t need to pay for iCloud+ separately. As a result, downgrading or canceling just the iCloud+ plan will still give you iCloud+ through your Apple One benefits.
Before completing a storage plan change, such as downgrading or canceling, there may be additional steps or prompts.
Finally, refunds for recent plan changes may also be available depending on local laws and if requested within 14 days.
In conclusion, cancel or downgrading your iCloud storage plan is a simple process that you can do from any of your Apple devices.
However, you should be aware of the consequences of losing access to some iCloud features and services, such as iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, iCloud Backup, and iCloud Mail.
Consequently, it is advisable to back up your important data to your local device storage before making changes to your iCloud subscription.
Furthermore, if you have any questions or problems, you can always contact Apple Support for help.
Frequently Asked Question’s (FAQ)
You can’t cancel or downgrade your iCloud storage plan on an Android phone. There is no iCloud app for Android devices, so you need to use a Mac or Windows PC to manage your iCloud subscription.
If you cancel your iCloud storage plan, you won’t lose any of your photos, videos, or other content already stored in iCloud. However, any new photos or videos you take will not be uploaded to iCloud and will be stored only on your device.
Buying iCloud storage doesn’t directly free up space on your iPhone, but it can help you optimize your storage by moving some of your data to the cloud. For example, you can use iCloud Photos to store your full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud.